- Catarina Bastos // 2015-2017Right after: Physics Engineer at Deimos Engenharia, Portugal
- Elisabetta Boella // 2010-2016Right after: Postdoctoral fellow at KU Leuven, BelgiumObs: Personal webpage here.
- Joana Martins // 2004-2016Right after: Postdoctoral fellow at Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Timon Mehrling // 2015-2016Right after: DAAD P.R.I.M.E. Post-doctoral Fellow at Universität Hamburg
- Pedro Carneiro // 2014-2016Right after: Data Analyst at BNP Paribas, Portugal
- Paulo Alves // 2008-2015Right after: Post-Doc at SLAC/Stanford
- Anne Stockem // 2010-2014Right after: Research Associate at Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany"I
was a Post-Doctoral researcher at GoLP from 2010 to 2014. During this period, I was introduced into large-scale computer simulations, where I benefitted from the good infrastructure in the team and the high level of professionalism. Due to collaborations all over the world, GoLP is always up-front, contributing to cutting-edge science. The work in an international team was very stimulating und important for my scientific career.
Currently, I am working as a Research Associate in the department for space and astrophysics (TPIV) at the Ruhr-University Bochum in Germany. The ongoing collaboration with GoLP and the expertise in particle-in-cell simulations are a fruitful contribution to the work being preformed at TPIV. Besides research, I am enjoying very much my teaching obligations in the faculty of Physics at RUB."Anne Stockem, 2014
Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
- Vishwa Bandhu Pathak // 2009-2014Right after: Research Fellow at Institute for Basic Science, GIST, South Korea
- Frederico Fiúza // 2007-2012Right after: Lawrence Postdoctoral Fellow at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Michael Marti // 2001-2010Right after: Engineer at TRC, SA- Tecnologia, PT
- Samuel Martins // 2007-2010Right after: Business Analyst at McKinsey Co., PTObs: Back for PhD in 2007"J
oining GoLP was one of the best decisions of my life. I joined as a 2nd year undergraduate student of Engineering Physics at IST and the experience was transformative to my career.
GoLP is a young and motivated team led by an ambitious visionary, Prof. Luís O. Silva, who became my role model in many levels. Ricardo Fonseca, the technical mastermind behind one of the most powerful computational codes for plasma simulation in the World, was more than a mentor.
GoLP uniquely combines theoretical, experimental, and simulation capacity that drives bleeding edge research at the highest international level in the most challenging science and technology topics, leveraging access to the most resourceful institutions in the World.
The experience was so positive that, after two years at McKinsey & Company, I decided to replace the standard MBA path with a PhD in Physics at GoLP. The people and resources enabled a fast-paced 3-year PhD with multiple publications in high-impact journals, including Nature Physics, Physical Review Letters, and Astrophysical Journal Letters.
Thank you Luís and Ricardo. Thank you GoLP."
Samuel Martins, 2014
Program Officer in Global Health
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Luís Gargaté // 2002-2009Right after: Post-Doc at Princeton University, USA
"I am currently the Global Business Development Manager at Critical Software responsible for the Railway and Automotive markets. In this role I am responsible for managing sales and proposals to clients, and for capturing new clients. Furthermore I have the overall responsibility for the success of these markets within the company. Critical Software, an international company founded in 1998, invests strongly on R&D in the area of safety-critical embedded systems, and it is a technology-driven company.
My time at GoLP was fundamental in developing not only my technical skills in high-performance computing and physics, but also my soft skills. These are both fundamental to work in the industry sector. Companies look for individuals who are team players, who can discuss and communicate openly with clients – not only at a technical level, but also on a wider relational level. During my PhD and undergraduate time at GoLP I had the opportunity to learn and develop these skills. More than a formal degree in Physics, working at GoLP allowed me to have the necessary contact with the real world, which provided me with the necessary experience to now deal daily with extremely complex and demanding technological projects."
Luís Gargaté, 2014
Global Business Development Manager
- Bruno Brandão // 2006-2008Right after: Consultant at Boston Consulting Group, PT
- Gianfranco Sorasio // 1999-2007Right after: CEO at ES energia, PT
- Massimiliano Fiore // 2003-2007Right after: Project Manager at National Institute of Nuclear Physics, IT
- Jorge Santos // 2002-2005Right after: PhD student at Cambridge University, UK
- Fabio Peano // 2004-2005Right after: Post-Doc at Politecnico di Torino, ITObs: Back for Post-Doc in 2007"I first had the privilege of working with GoLP during my PhD in 2003-2004 and later as a Post-doc researcher in 2007-2008. My periods there constituted an extremely profitable experience from both the professional and the human point of view. The stimulating and friendly environment, as well as the high scientific profile of GoLP members, made working hard to pursue scientific results a real pleasure.
I particularly appreciated the wide range of expertise within GoLP, from theoretical physics to computer science, and the sincere attitude of team members to sharing such expertise. This was not simply helpful in everyday tasks, but actually created continuous opportunities for the constructive exchange of opinions and ideas coming from different perspectives, which I deem an essential ingredient in a successful research team.
A key aspect in GoLP was the great attention devoted to ensure proper presentation of one’s results, e.g. preparing consistent, good looking slideshows and giving short and focused talks. These are fundamental skills for young students and researchers, and will prove important in any type of professional career."
Fabio Peano, 2014
Interesco Srl, a Heat & Power group company
- Sergio Amorini // 2002-2003Right after: Engineer at Darkmak srl, IT